Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28

Thread: Capital Punishment

  1. #11
    Inactive Member burton2019's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 8th, 2004
    Posts
    7,723
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Capital Punishment

    im for it..they do they crime then they should pay for it

  2. #12
    Inactive Member the_alienist's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 8th, 2006
    Posts
    597
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Capital Punishment

    [ QUOTE ]
    I'm not a drug user (illegal that is) but I find it hard to believe that you can do more time for selling drugs in some places than killing someone or violating a child. Seems to me that we, as a society, need to back off the "war on drugs" and launch the "war on violence and exploitation." Organized crime in the U.S. took root during Prohibition and that's what is happening now with the illegal drug market. Just because booze is legal doesn't mean everybody will drink and our country will go down the toilet. I think the same is true for drugs. Those who want to be junkies will be junkies. Those who don't will steer clear. Legalizing drugs will drive the price down (the government could even take over and control the manufacture and distribution) and the gangs wouldn't be making the money or the mayhem that they are now. I actually argued this very point about 15 years ago in college. Just an opinion and I'd love to debate more on it.

    [/ QUOTE ]

    So if you never did drugs does that mean that you did not have the ability to become a junkie? Just b/c you never did coke doesn't mean that you don't have tbe ability to be a "junkie". If you did cocaine/heroin/alcohol/opiates, then you would become so hooked on it biologically, that you physically could not live without it. If you tried to quit, your body would go into seizures and your heart would stop. Legal drugs are stilll DRUGS, you may be a drug user, just not someone who abuses them. This is a population that I work with on a daily basis.......I agree w/ you on the fact that ppl should serve more time for violating a child or murder than some of the drug offenses. But we all need to realize the drug subculture that is very prominent in our society today. Legalizing the drugs won't change the fact that they are being abused. Just because cocaine is legal then it means that I can sell everything that I have in order to get it and forsake my family and friends for it. But it's ok b.c it's legal.
    I make Machiavelli look like a weenie.

  3. #13
    Inactive Member jtw61194's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 20th, 2006
    Posts
    873
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Capital Punishment

    This is my argument, with the exception of newborns who may be born addicted to drugs or alcohol. We may have the hereditary predisposition for addiction, but you can't get hooked unless you fire up the pipe or pop the top on a beer. I don't think I know any crack addicts, but I know a bunch of full-blown alcoholics. I know that alcohol and crack are completely different monsters, but an alcoholic has an easier time taking care of his habit than a crack addict. The alcoholic probably wouldn't turn to prostitution for a six pack and I don't think gangs would start wars over whiskey. Socially, yes, drugs are horrible. But alcohol, in its own right, is equally damaging.

  4. #14
    Inactive Member the_alienist's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 8th, 2006
    Posts
    597
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Capital Punishment

    Yes I agree with you that alcohol is completely damaging and in many ways is just as bad as crack. An alcoholic might not start a gang war but they might abuse their child/spouse. I see where you are coming from
    I make Machiavelli look like a weenie.

  5. #15
    Inactive Member jtw61194's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 20th, 2006
    Posts
    873
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Capital Punishment

    Personally, I have a hard time believing my own arguments. I do drink and do not use drugs. I'm a teacher and a parent.I don't want to be around the drug culture. I just think that the supply and demand side of the drug situation is what causes some of the other problems within our society. The demand is high and the supply is low, therefore the price gets jacked up and people will do anything to get their fix. Introduce more supply, with the same demand, the pricing gets competitive. That's when gangs start fighting over turf and you have the violence issue. If the government stepped in and took over the drug business, it wouldn't be profitable for smaller organizations to continue in the drug trade. Look at what Wal-Mart has done to the smaller family stores. Out of business. Can't compete with the chain or the prices. Just my take on things.

  6. #16
    Inactive Member smarty's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 13th, 2003
    Posts
    1,264
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Capital Punishment

    great post!!

    but trust me if you saw when I tried to talk about gay rights you'd understand where I'm coming from b/c it always turns into liberal bashing. I def. agree with you on the subject of being open minded to other ppl's opinions and views I have no problem hearing other ppl's standing on certain issues and seeing where they are coming from whether I agree or not, but unfortunately not everyone on this forum likes to be so open minded concerning others views esp. when they don't conform to what is right/wrong in their own mind. You should be able to at least respect that ppl can disagree with you and just b/c they disagree doesn't make them anti-Christ, murders, [censored] lovers, etc.... I think a good debate is great but most things on here turn into full fledged argument, with name calling and ppl getting really upset. I always like to hear the other side of the argument though so feel free to post some facts for me and/or you own just personal feelings.


  7. #17
    Inactive Member the_alienist's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 8th, 2006
    Posts
    597
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Capital Punishment

    I just don't know. I do agree with you on the supply/demand problem. But I don't know if govt control will help anything. I don't think that any of these drugs serve a purpose, even pharmacuetically, considering we have better drugs out there now. Yet I know that it is naive and simple-minded for me to think that the only solution is total cessation.
    I make Machiavelli look like a weenie.

  8. #18
    Inactive Member jtw61194's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 20th, 2006
    Posts
    873
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Capital Punishment

    I know this is off topic, but the thing that frustrates me the most about the drug culture is the "Why?" People are doing some really bizarre things to alter their minds/moods. Huffing paint, sniffing glue, magic markers, cough medicine, etc. There was a middle school student who apparently hanged himself, accidently, because of the rush involved with passing out. I mean, who sits around and thinks of some of these wacky things? My son is ADHD and it troubles me that other kids will sell their meds because it in essence it's speed. The whole thing frustrates me. Yet, I wish the violence would go away. That one aspect of being dysfunctional is completely out of touch with keeping your business to yourself.

  9. #19
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: Capital Punishment

    Part of it is this thing we are on- some of these kids aren't sure the life folks knew 20 years ago exists. They don't get away much, and you can find instructions for anything on the INTERNET and will believe anything in print ,only problem is, where once in the BSG library you could ask Miss Sherry, "Is this fiction?" this doesn't come with someone to watch the kids. One thing I did to mine once he got a little age on him, I cheated him, not bad and plain sight. "Dad, you screwed me!"[img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img], "HAHA, yep son and that is part of todays lesson- don't forget it," the guy that sells you a car is gonna do the same. The better he is at it , the more he makes, same deal with lots of other folks in life, just be careful, it is easier than working.

  10. #20
    Inactive Member the_alienist's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 8th, 2006
    Posts
    597
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Capital Punishment

    I think that is a good lesson to teach your children. better someone who is not doing anything to hurt them but to show them how things truly are "outside"
    I make Machiavelli look like a weenie.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •